History of Strawberry Lane Farm
Henry Madison Welch, of West Virginia, bought this farm in 1899. It is located near the center of Grundy County in north central Missouri. Henry put together three old one-room houses to make his home, He built a black locust granary with attached buggy shed which still stands and an oak barn.
He farmed the land with a team of horses, dug a well, planted an orchard, made a garden and taught at various schools around Grundy County. He brought his bride, Jeanette Edith Wheeler from Galt, Missouri, to live here in 1904. While they were being married in Brown County, Kansas, this farm was flooded from the overflowing Muddy Creek. When they arrived here to set up housekeeping, the story goes that the water was hub-deep to their wagon wheels.
The creek was straightened later and no longer floods. Henry and Jeanette were the parents of four children: Edith Frances, Alice Genevieve, Henry Wheeler and Bonnie Maureen. Henry died in 1929 after a runaway horse accident and the farm was sold to their eldest daughter, Edith and her husband, Earl Hubert Husted. Edith and Earl managed to pay their mortgage with strawberry sales. People called the road that goes by here Strawberry Lane, hence the name of the farm.
Edith and Earl Husted were the parents of four children: Glen, Frances, Nevin and Marie. Marie and her husband, Lewis Kamphefner, orignially from Newtown, Missouri, are the present stewards of Henry’s initial land purchase. Lewis & Marie and their three children, Marc, Tim and Jill, moved here after after Edith’s death in 1993.